Thursday 15 March 2012

Stoke Newington.

After getting off a stop too early in Stoke Newington, I managed to find my way to Katie's apartment with the map on my phone which luckily decided to work for once.
She first showed me around her apartment which was exactly the kind of place I'd like to live in at some point in my life. I really liked that they had their own screen printing equipment in there too and her housemate mentioned how she'd managed to expose a screen in her room by blacking out the windows.
After a cup of tea and a chat (in which she answered most of my questions I was going to ask in the interview anyway) she showed me some of her work. It was interesting seeing the original drawings, before they had been edited and coloured. It gave me an idea of the processes she uses which was good knowledge to have for my own work. 
She also told me a lot of stuff about promoting yourself as an illustrator, and about the aspects you don't take into account until you get out in the real world like taxes etc..
After I had interviewed Katie we went to the post office so she could post some of her promotional packs (as shown in some of the photos) to various publications. I thought this was a really good way to find work, rather than waiting for someone to see your website/blog, you go straight to them. 
Then after a lot of hassle on London public transport, we made it to the Hunterian Museum which was where she was taking me in response to me asking her to take me somewhere important to herself or her work. Unfortunately it was closed because it was a monday! But after researching it when I got back I will definitely be going to see it next time I am in London.
Instead we went for a coffee and then to a book shop (..that's name escapes me) which was full of illustration and graphic design books. If it hadn't been so expensive in there I definitely would have bought something. 

No comments:

Post a Comment